Thursday, January 07, 2010

Trying my hand at custom Cedar Wineador Trays

I got the itch to upgrade the storage system in the 12 bottle Vinotemp that I have been using for cigar storage. I looked all over the internet and checked with some friends but came up with relatively little on the market for custom storage. My friend Ron at CigarSolutions (see links) does carry some very decent cedar trays at a good price, but they weren't what I was looking for. So... I took matters into my own hands.

Woodworkers Source here in Phoenix had a couple of lining remnants laying around at a really good price, so that was the real catalyst. 1/4 inch finished planks just the right square footage for the job. I got these two bad boys finished out for under 30 dollars.



This was my first attempt and I have to say, they are certainly solid and for my needs they are working great. Here are a couple of additional images:






I used a router for the flames and if I had it to do over, I would probably skip that and use a wood burner instead. I'll be posting up the second set I made for a friend of mine soon. You'll see the results of that woodburning technique in that post. Here's a parting shot of the trays installed in the Vinotemp.



Thanks for checking in. See you next time!

1 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic work. Looks really great. I am a fan of your first attempt. I like the bottom slats for moving air and humidity around in a 12 bottle size Vinotemp. I read previously that you parted with the 12 bottle size (which is the same model I'm on the hunt for) for a larger unit. Besides the room, was there any other con's like temp or rh challenges with the smaller one?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home